Saturday, July 30, 2016

Sonu Nigam - my first crush, my mentor, my hero and my inspiration


When satellite television first came to South Africa it was a novelty, an absolute craze that everyone had to have. I can clearly remember the day our DSTV system was installed. There was a sparkle in my eyes and a huge smile on my face. Finally I was able to watch so many channels that pertained to my culture and language. Whilst switching channels for the very first time I came across SAREGAMA on Zee TV. The program was presented by none other than the living legend Sonu Nigamji. For my family and I watching Sonuji on television for the first time was undoubtedly love at first sight. We couldn't get over his cute smile coupled with his boy next door looks, the designer clothing he wore and of course the exemplary character and respect that he portrayed towards his elders. My family and I never missed a SAREGAMA episode. In fact we loved the program so much that we literally recorded each episode. I always dreamt of meeting this living legend and dad use to encourage me to write letters to ZeeTv for his attention in the hope that he would reply. I sent numerous letters but received no replies.But this didn't discourage me at all. I always had hope that one day I will meet this shining star. Anyway, one Saturday morning as we drove towards my grandmother's home, dad switched on Lotus fm only to hear that Sonu Nigam would be performing live in South Africa at the Standard Bank Arena. I was over the moon. Naturally dad arranged for tickets and of course we went to the concert as one big happy family. I can still remember the way Sonu ji danced to his song"TU".After the concert everyone left the venue. I refused to leave until I had a chance to meet him. The MC of the show came up to me and tried pacifying me. He said, ' My dear, give me your CD I will have it autographed for you.' Naturally I obliged. When he returned with the CD that now had my name on it in Sonuji's handwriting I was thrilled but not satisfied. Mom and I wanted to meet him in person. We decided to run back stage with two security guards following us in haste.Nanaji followed us too lolol. Eventually we found the room where Sonuji and his beloved mom were sitting. I knocked on the door and walked into the room. He then signaled for the security to leave us alone.I was a starstruck teenager and couldn't believe that I shared the same space with a living legend. I can never ever forget the proud smile that Sonujis mom had on her face as she watched us engaging in conversation with a son that she adored with all her heart.May her soul rest in peace. After that unforgettable meeting little did I know that my relationship with Sonuji will last for almost 17 years. Not only is he a singer that has been blessed with a golden voice but he has a heart of gold too. Sonuji might be a superstar to the world but to me he is a mentor and an inspiration. I have not met a more humble and down to earth human being ever despite his huge success and fame.He has never forgotten his roots and to him humility is a very important quality that a human being needs to have. He is widely read and has quite an interesting philosophy about life and living. Through him I have seen and understood the many facets of life.Dad always told me that in order to be the best in life you don't need a certificate or a piece of paper. Be like Sonu Nigam. He doesn't need awards to validate that he is the best in the Indian music industry. The world knows that he is undoubtedly the best.My Nana use to be so emotional whenever he heard Sonuji singing. He felt as though the late Rafi Sahab lived inside of him. Sonuji inspires me to be a good human being through his unselfish acts of kindness towards others especially towards the orphaned. I am truly blessed and honoured to be in touch with such an amazing soul. Hence on this day 30 July 2016, I would like to take this opportunity in wishing my first crush, my mentor, my hero and my inspiration a very happy birthday. May God Almighty grant you many, many more years of good health, wealth, peace and prosperity! Ameen.....Love you loads to the moon and beyond!










No comments:

Post a Comment